Monday, June 27, 2005

Weekend

We actually had a baby sitter for Saturday night, so Tracy and I took advantage and went out for the night. We headed down the HOB Orlando for dinner and whatever. The food there is really, really good. I had a burger, and Tracy had a Pizza of all things, both were amazingly good. And the price wasn’t too bad either. With drinks we got out of there for under $40. I wanted to try to see a show while we were there, but it was a punk show of bands I never heard of and all teenagers waiting to get in... Guess I’m getting old. And unfortunately, when I hear punk rock these days, I think of Green Day, Sum 41?, and Blink 182. Not Punk, more like Pop… or are the two the same these days? Anyway we ended up walking around for a while then heading home. The next day we went to pick up the kids at their Grandparents house, went swimming, cooked some stuff on the grill. The kids had a blast in the pool. And they went to see a movie (Madagascar) the night before so they couldn't complain, but they did anyway... spoiled.

Later that day, I decided I needed another grill, and bought a charcoal one this time. Real cheap, under $20, I’m sure will last many years or months for that price. Took forever to assemble… It was a project that was fun for the whole family, and the kids did help. The Chicken came out awesome, real smoky flavor. Then we let the kids roast Marshmallows when we were finished with dinner. I learned that you really need to keep an eye on the Marshmallows, or the kids will just start eating them out of the bag. Kaley could have potentially eaten 10 or more. All that sugar is a bad thing when it gets to be bed time. Overall, a pretty good weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the gas grill??? Oddly enough, H said she wants a new grill (hers is "inherited" from her friend who used to live in the basement). It chars lighter meat even on the higher of the two racks. She threw on this tequila-lime marinated turkey we get at Costco ... that and three bottles of wine pretty much made our Sunday off!! We also caught this cute little Ben Affleck movie where he rents this family (the dad is James Gandolfini) for $250M to let him spend Christmas with them. It's the movies they DON'T hype that are always the most rewarding!

Anyway, I'll try to get you that Beatles stuff ... I'll DEFINITELY get you stuff from this latest batch of discs I got from Estrus Records ... old Mono Men, and their guitarist Dave Crider's name band the DT's, the Von Zippers, Gas Huffer from 2001, and the best of all, THE IMMORTAL LEE COUNTY KILLERS!! They play super fucked up punk/blues ... hence the album's name, "The Essential Fucked Up Blues" ... it's super raw and muddy! Just drums and guitar, and the guitarist switches between this gritty clean and this super dense bassy sound ... kind of like he's being both guitarists in Hound Dog Taylor!

I also got my 5-DVD Beatles set that covers a ton of their interviews and TV appearances ... there's this one complete show in '65 where all these artists were covering their songs, and John and Paul were hosts (plus, they lipsynched to Day Tripper and We Can Work it Out) ... there were chamber music versions, jazz versions, Henry Mancini did If I Fell, there was this French crooner guy, and there was even a flamenco version of She Loves You!!! If THAT doesn't tell anyone how important these guys were, I don't know what will ... five albums out, and they were already getting a tribute show!!! Amazing!

Geoff

jzanko said...

I still have the gas grill. I got the charcoal grill so the kids can do the marshmallow thing. And food does taste different on it for sure. But yeah, gas is the way to go. I wouldn't give my Weber gas grill up for anything. It's the first grill that I bought that still functions perfectly after 3 years, or close to it.

I have the anthology dvd 5 disk set. Is that the same one your talking about? I dont remember a tribute show so I'm guessing this is something different.

I just listened to a cut from the Immortal Lee County Killers CD. Let's Get Killed, and Train She Rides, fucked up is right!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm ... Weber! Rilbs!!!! Man, oh, man! Um, anyway ... yes, my 5DVD set is diff ... more bootleggy ... and don't them Lee County Killer rock, tho??? Bizarro! Dave Crider and Estrus still rock mightily ... just about every band he's got on that label fills in this miserable 10-year gap of crap that's passed for music!